Our church was built in the 1840’s, one of ten churches which were built in Bethnal Green in that era. Bishop James Blomfield had a vision that Bethnal Green should have a church named after each apostle in the Bible. That’s how we got our name.
In 1897 Revd John Edwin Watts-Ditchfield was appointed as Vicar. The church gained lots of new buildings and new members and he eventually became the first Bishop of Chelmsford. But we had him first!
In 1944 the church building suffered significant bomb damage and was closed, reopening in 1960. The church community continued to worship God in the building which is now Gatehouse School.
Today, in our church, we carry with us all the gifts and blessings passed down by our ‘cloud of witnesses’ and they inspire us to a new vision of the future.